WORLD HEALTH DAY | APRIL 7, 2022
Mindful Minute –
A Mindful Minute Matters!
This year the theme for World Health Day is Our Planet, Our Health – creating societies that are focused on well-being. In honour of World Health Day, UDCS is encouraging all employees to engage in 1 minute of a self-led well-being activity which can include exercise, reflection, intentional breathing, or silent meditation collectively during your workday on April 7th. Wherever you are, we want you to join us! Remember, small changes and a couple of minutes can add up to improve your individual health & wellness.
Health activity examples:
- Search “mindful minute” on YouTube and follow along to a video of your choosing
- Close your eyes and using your hands, spend a few seconds on each finger identifying one thing you are grateful for today
- Body scan: Close your eyes and scan your body, from your head to your toes. Notice any areas in the body where you are holding tension and try to breathe into those areas, allowing them to soften and for tension to be released
- Mindful listening: close your eyes and notice the sounds around you
- “Box Breathing” – inhale for 4 seconds, hold for 4 seconds, exhale for 4 seconds, hold for 4 seconds, and repeat
- Grab a journal or a pen and paper and answer the following reflection question: How can I make the world a better place?
- Enjoy a healthy snack or beverage (i.e. low in sugar, high in vitamins and nutrients)
- Send a thank you e-mail or a True Blue to a colleague
- Share an inspiring quote
- Commit to a specific spending budget this week in one category (take-out, apparel, make-up, entertainment etc.)
- Take a moment to read about sustainable consumer behaviour